Monday, July 19, 2010

Mexican Chicken Casserole

I found a bunch of recipes similar to this online while looking for something to do with leftover white rice. I can't just follow a recipe as written, so I did make some tweaks to it. It was awesome with tortilla chips (crispy and warm out of the oven) and homemade corn bread (I'll post that recipe sometime too). My two picky girls LOVED it and it's an easy way to hide beans in a recipe (if you have to, like me)!

Mexican Chicken Casserole

Ingredients:

2 Cups Cooked White Rice
1 Can Tomatoes Sauce
2 Cups Shredded Cooked Chicken
1 Can Fat Free Refried Beans
1 Tbsp Taco Seasoning
1 Cup Shredded Cheddar or Colby Jack Cheese

Optional Ingredients:
Diced Tomatoes
Sour Cream















Spread rice over bottom of 9x13 pan (you do not need to prepare with cooking spray).
















In separate bowl, combine Tomatoes Sauce, Shredded Cooked Chicken, and Taco Seasoning (I thought 1 Tbsp was a bit spicy for my taste and I might lessen it to 1/2 Tbsp next time). Spread Chicken Mixture over rice.















Carefully spread refried beans over Chicken Mixture (I make half of the casserole with no beans for my beanophobe hubby). :)

Sprinkle cheese over top and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Can be served with diced tomatoes and sour cream. Serves 6. Each serving is 6 Weight Watchers points.

No comments:

Post a Comment