Sunday, June 6, 2010

Herbed Mahi Mahi

I used to be afraid to cook fish in my house. I must admit, there is nothing worse than walking into a home and smelling yesterday's dinner - especially fish! Well, those of you who fear fish need not anymore. I cook fish at least once a week (I usually saute it in a frying pan or cook it on the grill) and I have to say, as long as you don't cook it every day and you keep your house well ventilated, you should be fine. Candles or air fresheners help, but the three primary things you need to do to eliminate offensive cooking odors are:

1. Use your exhaust fan over the stove while cooking.
2. Clean the filter on your exhaust fan frequently (newer ones are easy to remove and wash in the sink)
3. Wash your pans and cooking utensils immediately.

Fish is very simple to pan fry and it's delicious with a little herb rub and olive oil cooking spray. I love Costco frozen Mahi Mahi. I always make sure to safely thaw it in my refrigerator the night before I cook it.


Once completely thawed, pat  the fish dry and sprinkle with an herbed seafood rub (Mine is a Kirkland brand seafood rub from Costco that has lemon, garlic and herbs - yum!)


Spray your pan with Olive Oil Pam (or if you're more adventurous, you can use 2 tsp olive oil and 1 tsp butter instead) and heat over Medium High heat. Sear Mahi Mahi about 5-6 minutes per side, until fish feels firm, looks opaque and flakes easily with a fork. It should not be pink or translucent inside.

Here is the finished product:

1 comment:

  1. I love Mahi and buy it often. Always usually cook it in the oven, but will definitely try this way very soon!

    ReplyDelete