Saturday, May 29, 2010

Oscar Mayer Turkey Bacon


I recently recieved a coupon in the mail for a free package of Oscar Mayer Turkey Bacon from Kraft First Taste. This morning was the perfect opportunity to try it out, since I've never had turkey bacon before! All in all, an interesting product if you're looking for a bacon alternative! Each slice is 35 calories but has 3 grams of fat.


I'll give the line-up on preparation methods first and the results at the end.



First is my usual favorite, oven preparation. The instructions state to preheat oven to 375 degrees, then bake 8-10 minutes.


The next preparation is frying pan, over medium high heat for 8-10 minutes.



And last is microwave, for 2 minutes.



And the results are...

Oven:


Took far longer than the suggested time on the package to get it to resemble real bacon. I took it out after 18 minutes. The white stuff in the picture above is grease, and should be blotted with paper towels before eating (unless you like it that way)! I wish I had another package because I would try upping the temperature to 400 degrees and baking for 15 minutes, which would be comparable to cooking time for regular bacon.

Frying Pan:


I was surprised when it cooked a bit faster than the time on the package. I have a high BTU burner, so I might cook it on Medium or medium low next time. While this might look like a crispy critter (it does to me!), it actually most closely resembled the texture, taste and aroma of real crisp cooked bacon. Go figure!

Microwave:


This preparation yielded the nicest looking bacon by far, but it was a bit dry and chewy. I probably wouldn't recommend feeding it to young children because it might be hard to swallow if they're not chewing very thoroughly.

And the winner (for me) is . . . frying pan!

No comments:

Post a Comment